Iowa Now Has Name Change Court Forms on State’s Website

(Iowa Judicial Branch)
David Golbitz
The Daily Record

The Iowa Judicial Branch has released its third set of interactive court forms designed to improve access to justice for Iowans who are unable to afford legal counsel or who choose to represent themselves.

Iowans can now fill out and file a name change form for themselves or their minor children using the free, easy-to-use interactive forms that are available on the Iowa Judicial Branch website.

The new name change petition joins the previously released interactive forms for small claims cases and divorces that do not involve minor children or dependent adult children, which were first made available in 2020.

The interactive forms can be filled out using a computer, tablet or smartphone. Those without easy access to these devices can use the public access computers that are available at every county courthouse in Iowa. Name change petitioners are required to create an account and record responses to a questionnaire.

Once the questionnaire is complete, it can be printed, signed, paid for and electronically filed with the court.

The Iowa Access to Justice Commission recommended the Iowa Judicial Branch develop interactive court forms as an innovative way to promote access to justice in the state.

The commission is exploring ways to best assist unrepresented Iowans who may have difficulties accessing the Iowa justice system.

The interactive court forms can be found online at

Any questions can be directed toward the county clerk at each of the state’s courthouses or submitted via email to


User login

Omaha Daily Record

The Daily Record
3323 Leavenworth Street
Omaha, Nebraska
United States

Tele (402) 345-1303
Fax (402) 345-2351